Today the Beef Cattle Research Council (BCRC) is celebrating one year since the launch of BeefResearch.ca!
We are thrilled to report that over the past year, traffic to the website has continually increased, new subscribers regularly sign up for the blog, and communities of beef research enthusiast are growing on Twitter, Facebook and YouTube. Cattle producers are demonstrating that they are eager to educate themselves about research and innovation.
Since launching the website, we’ve posted 71 blog articles and numerous research topic overviews, technical fact sheets, videos and more. Here’s what our website audience has been most interested in, based on the highest number of views:
Top 5 Blog Posts
- Explaining growth promotants used in feedlot cattle (January 14, 2013)
- Researching healthy fats in beef: CLA and Omega 3 (December 5, 2012)
- EPDs: What do all those numbers mean? (February 25, 2013)
- Ractopamine angst (April 8, 2013)
- E.coli O157:H7: an industry research priority (October 5, 2012)
- Tips for successful extended grazing to reduce winter feeding costs (December 10, 2012)
Top 5 Research Topics (general overviews)
- Optimizing Feedlot Feed Efficiency
- Carcass Grading
- Dark-cutting Beef
- Bovine Respiratory Disease
- Environmental Footprint of Beef Production
Top 5 Fact Sheets (individual research project summaries)
- Preventing Shipping Fever Pneumonia in Calves (Research completed in 2006)
- Testing for Beef Tenderness (Research completed in 2006)
- Can Composting Destroy BSE Prions? (Research completed in 2013)
- Forage and Seed Mixtures for Different Regions of Canada (Research in progress)
- E-Beam Treatment to Improve Beef Safety (Research completed in 2013)
- Cattle Transport (8:05)
- Why is Beef Research so Important to Cattle Producers? (10:30)
- Using Residual Feed Intake (RFI) to Select for Feed Efficiency (5:55)
- Antimicrobial Resistance (Part 1 of 3) (6:01)
- Properly Diagnosing Lameness in Cattle (7:12)
#1 Most Visited Webpage on BeefResearch.ca
We keep an eye on popular pages to give us an idea of what our readers are most interested in. That knowledge helps to inform the types of new content we produce for the website.
We also produce new content based on your questions and comments, so keep them coming!
- What kind of information do you look for?
- How do you want information delivered?
- What helps you decide whether or not to try something new or different?
Wondering what to expect in the coming year? In addition to many more new topic overviews, fact sheets, blog articles and videos, BeefResearch.ca will also be expanded to include fact sheets on research funded by other organizations, and launch a series of live webinars.
The BCRC’s expanded role in knowledge dissemination and technology transfer within the Canadian beef cattle industry is possible through support from the Beef Cattle Industry Science Cluster. The BeefResearch.ca website is a key part of the long-term initiative.
Click here to subscribe to the BCRC Blog and receive email notifications when new content is posted.
The sharing or reprinting of BCRC Blog articles is welcome and encouraged. Please provide acknowledgement to the Beef Cattle Research Council and list the website address, www.BeefResearch.ca.
We welcome your questions, comments and suggestions. Contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or generate public discussion by posting your thoughts below.