The Beef Cattle Research Council (BCRC) invites proposals from leading research institutions for the establishment of Research Chairs. The deadline is October 1, 2018 at 11:59 PM MT.
Currently, a shortage of scientific experts and research capacity in some areas of beef, cattle and forage research are hindering the ability to conduct priority research that supports improvements in productivity and demand and responds to emerging issues. To fill these gaps, the BCRC is exploring options to establish Research Chairs in key areas with investment of Canadian Beef Cattle Check-Off funding in partnership with other funders.
To procure the strongest opportunities for capacity development and encourage matching investments, Research Chair concepts will be considered through an open call for proposals. The BCRC welcomes proposals that work towards the achievement of its three core research objectives:
- To enhance industry competitiveness and reduce production costs, priority outcomes are to enhance feed and forage production, increase feed efficiency, and decrease the impact of animal health issues and production limiting diseases.
- To improve beef demand and quality, priority outcomes are to reduce food safety incidences, define quality and yield benchmarks supporting the Canadian Beef Advantage, and improve beef quality through primary production improvements and the development and application of technologies to optimize cut-out values and beef demand.
- To improve public confidence in Canadian beef, outcomes are to improve food safety, strengthen the surveillance of antimicrobial use and resistance, develop effective antimicrobial alternatives, ensure animal care, demonstrate the safety and efficacy of new production technologies, improve environmental sustainability and measure the beef industry’s environmental benefits.
Applications must include explanations of how the newly created Chair position will align with the Canadian Beef Research and Technology Transfer Strategy 2018-2023, and how the proposed Chair will include industry-focused extension within their research program.
The BCRC will provide funding (up to 10 years) to establish research chairs, while the institutions will be responsible for long-term maintenance of the positions. BCRC funding must result in the creation of a new position and not replace or supplement an existing or recently vacated position. The newly created Chair position may be filled by a current researcher within the institution however the vacancy created by this reassignment must be filled.
The BCRC intends to commit funding to support two Research Chairs over the next two years. Additional calls for proposals in subsequent years are subject to annual BCRC funding allocations.
This research capacity development initiative, in support of the National Beef Strategy, is made possible by the increase in the Canadian Beef Cattle Check-Off in most provinces.
- BCRC Call for Proposals – Establishment of Research Chairs
- BCRC Instructions and Guidelines for Submitting a Proposal for Establishment of Research Chair
- BCRC Establishment of Research Chair Proposal Form
Click here to subscribe to the BCRC Blog and receive email notifications when new content is posted.
The sharing or reprinting of BCRC Blog articles is welcome and encouraged. Please provide acknowledgement to the Beef Cattle Research Council, list the website address, www.BeefResearch.ca, and let us know you chose to share the article by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We welcome your questions, comments and suggestions. Contact us directly or generate public discussion by posting your thoughts below.